Dr. Mercola is the founder of the world’s most visited natural health web site,Mercola.com. You can learn the hazardous side effects of OTC Remedies by getting a FREE copy of his latest special report The Dangers of Over the Counter Remedies by going to his Report Page. Reprinted with permission.
How to Solve Nearly Any Illness - Without Drugs
Posted By Dr. Mercola | January 11 2011 | 52,369 views
In more recent years, a growing body of studies shows that simple lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise are effective remedies for many common health problems. At the same time, we're seeing more and more evidence of the lethal harm being brought by poorly tested drugs.To me, the choice is clear.But many people still do not realize just how effective lifestyle changes can be in treating their disease. Many diabetics, for example, are convinced they need drugs, and resist the idea that treating or even curing their disease is entirely within their own control.The truth is, type 2 diabetes is virtually 100 percent avoidable and treatable entirely without drugs. If you're still in the dark about how to accomplish this, please see this link.Other common conditions that can be managed without medication include:
Do Your Research Before Taking ANY Drug
For all the problems modern society has caused, it also brings benefits that were previously unimaginable. One of them is the ease with which you can conduct your own research. And I urge you to thoroughly investigate each drug before taking it.The truth is that doctors are no longer the sole authority on all matters relating to health. And don't believe for one minute that your physician will have all the answers and all the latest research findings at his or her fingertips. They won't.Most of their recent knowledge about drug treatments comes directly from the lips of drug reps, and if you believe drug reps will put your health and safety before profits, think again.
So, as a general rule, always make sure to read up on the potential side effects of the drug. Read the package insert, and remember that even if it lists a side effect as rare, it can happen to you.Then decide whether the potential benefits truly outweigh the potential risks.
Drugs are Band-Aids. They Do NOT Address the Cause of Disease
If you want to take a step in the right direction, make drugs your last option.This sounds easy enough, but actually requires a massive thought shift for some people. Many still have a very hard time accepting the idea that your body can heal itself, and that drugs oftentimes will only hinder the process.I can't stress enough the importance of the most basic principle for resolving an illness: Find the underlying cause of the problem, and address THAT!Masking it with a drug that lessens your symptoms does not fix anything. Disease can only be resolved by addressing its root cause.What many people fail to realize is that it is entirely possible to maintain optimal health simply by:
- Avoiding unnecessary drugs, and
- Understanding the fundamentals of proper nutrition and exercise
What DOES Make You Healthy?
Read full article. Martha Rosenberg lists the drugs which made 2010's Hall of ShameThere are certain basic tenets of optimal health that have always remained permanent truths, and by consistently adhering to them, you give yourself the best chance at a long and healthy life.These 10 strategies promote overall health, as opposed to chasing and watering down various symptoms:
- Eat a healthy diet that’s right for your nutritional type (paying very careful attention to keeping your insulin levels down) -- This aspect is so important for optimal health; I now offer my entire online nutritional typing program for free.
- Drink plenty of clean water
- Manage your stress
- Exercise regularly -- I actually view exercise as a drug with regard to being properly prescribed and having proper dosage, And it's one that you can readily substitute for some of the most common drugs used today for things like diabetes, heart disease and depression.
High-intensity, burst-type exercises like Peak 8 are particularly beneficial for optimal health, as it effectively boosts fat loss, improves muscle strength, tone and endurance, and causes your body to produce human growth hormone (HGH).
- Optimize your vitamin D levels by getting appropriate amounts of sun exposure, or by taking an oral vitamin D3 supplement
- Limit exposure to toxins
- Consume healthy fats such as omega-3 fat, coconut oil and pure butter
- Eat plenty of raw food
- Optimize your insulin and leptin levels
- Get plenty of sleepRemember, leading a common sense, healthy lifestyle is your best bet to produce a healthy body and mind, and increase your longevity.Unfortunately, both the pharmaceutical industry and the food industry won't make it easy for you to avoid the garbage that ruins your health.The drug industry spends about $15 billion a year manipulating and distorting your perceptions about the proper solutions for your health challenges. The answer is to take self-responsibility and educate yourself so that you can make better, healthier choices.By adhering to the basic tenets of optimal health provided above, you will build a healthy mind and body, thereby safeguarding yourself against a multitude of health problems and serious diseases.