Monday, June 14, 2010

It's that time of year again!


It's that time of year again!













It's that time of year again. I'm getting ready to bathe my dogs. Ghost my Great Pyrenees is too big to bathe in the bathtub so when the weather warms up I bathe her outside. During the winter I have to take her to self service dog wash. I'm one of those pet owners who doesn't particularly like to spend money on taking my pets to a pet groomer so I do it myself. I have alot of my own pet products that help make the job easier.

It's not a simple task, it takes at least a half hour to scrub and rinse her and another couple of hours to brush her. When I first got Ghost years ago, I was told the biggest mistake owners of Great Pyrenees make is they shave them. They have pink skin and burn easily, so we just brush her out and trim her up a bit.
I found that keeping my own pet products available and on hand makes the job go a little faster.

I've thought alot about getting a portable dog bath. I've never met anyone who's ever used one so I'm not sure how well they work. Ghost is a really big dog and may not even fit inside the largest size.
I would love to hear about anyone who's used a portable dog bath.

Here's the pet products I like to use when I'm bathing ghost.

  • Good dog shampoo. I learned the hard way not to use my shampoo. Years ago I tried it and it made my dogs skin really itchy.

  • With a long haired dog, conditioner helps a lot to detangle the hair.

  • A Good pair of scissors for clipping mats and tangled hair.

  • A bag or something to put all the hair in. (All pet hair can be used to make oil booms for oil spill in the gulf) See previous post for information on where to send it.

  • Dog wipes to gently clean out her ears.

  • A couple of towels to slightly dry her off. She takes hours to dry. She loves to sun bathe in the sun to dry the rest of the way off.

  • Nail clippers. It's important to keep your dogs nails trimmed so they don't snag their nails on the carpet or get them caught up in something and break a toe.

Ghost always thinks she's the QUEEN of the castle!
Do you bathe your own dogs? Email me your pictures of you bathing your dog and I'll post them to share


Written by: Carol Lawrence







4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful dog! I have a Saint and a G. Retriever. And I do all our grooming too. Too big to take in. Too much hassle getting them there, lol. They get a good shave a couple times in the summer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to post pictures of your Saint & G.
    Email me a few if your interested!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog from your comment on mine from Friendly Friday Follow. We have a Great Pyrenees/Shepherd mix, but he has more of the Shepherd fur than the Pyrenees. It's funny b/c we got him from the humane society out of a litter of them & he's the only one that was like that. The rest were more the Pyrenees fur. We sometimes bathe him ourselves & sometimes take him to Petsmart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does your Pyr like to bark? Mine does, not as much as she used to when she was younger though. They are amazing dogs. They really need to fullfill their inner instinct to have a job on a ranch or farm hearding sheep.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! We really appreciate them.
We hope you will bookmark our blog and come back again real soon. ~ Carol and Randy Lawrence